State Buildings Program (SBP) is responsible for establishing minimum building codes for all construction by state agencies on state-owned or state lease-purchased properties or facilities.
It is the intent of the SBP code compliance policy to coordinate the efforts of state personnel responsible for managing construction projects, in order to ensure compliance with approved building codes and standards, by establishing standardized methods to review construction documents and inspect buildings under construction.
Colorado has no statewide building code; building codes are primarily adopted and enforced at the local level except where noted below.
- The Colorado Department of Public Safety, Division of Fire Prevention and Control, adopts building codes for the construction of public K-12 schools, and health facilities.
- The Division of Housing’s Building Codes & Standards Section, part of the Department of Local Affairs, enforces codes for manufactured homes and factory-built buildings. The Division also adopts and enforces building codes for site-built hotels, motels, and multifamily buildings in jurisdictions with no codes.
- Approved State Building Codes (Exhibit A) Exh-A-Bldg Codes Rev. 09/2023
- Code Compliance Plan Review Procedures( Exhibit B) Exh-B-Plan Review Procedures (Rev. 5/2019)
- Plan Review Authorization (Exhibit C) SBP-017 Rev. 08/2023
- Building Inspection Authorization (Exhibit E) SBP-018 Rev. 08/2023
- Action Plan for Code Compliance (Exhibit K) Exh K-Bldg Codes (Rev. 3/2020)
- Project Close Out Code Compliance Documentation Transmittal Exhibit L-1 (Rev. 3/2021)
- Project Close Out Budget Reconciliation/Project Evaluation Transmittal Exhibit L-2 (Rev. 7/2021)
- Request for Modification (Exhibit M) Exh-M-Bldg Codes Rev. 08/2023
Code Compliance for Existing Buildings Flowchart (Rev. 7/2018)
Code Consultants for FY23-24 (Rev. 7/2023)
Plan Review Fee Table (Rev. 5/2019)
Building Code Compliance Policy - P3 New 5/2022